Saturday, August 8, 2009

Michel Hernandez gets DFA'd

OUT............................ IN..................................


Wow.
That's all I can come up with. The Rays recently signed veteran back-up catcher Gregg Zaun, so we knew a change was imminent, but I did not see this as the potential change.

Hernandez has had a very good season in terms of what he's done beside and behind the plate, and seemed to be quite good in the back-up catcher role (242, 292, 323 in 35 games).

My first guess when I heard of the Zaun signing was that perhaps Riggans would be sent back to his favorite place on earth, the DL, to make room for Zaun, my second guess was... well I didn't have a second guess, but I can assure you that it wouldn't have been Hernandez to be DFA'd.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Rays know something I don't know because I can't seem to make heads or tails out of this decision.

It is what it is, and time will tell.

No comments: