Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Can The Rays Sweep The Sox?

In a word, YES, but will they?

It all boils down to pitching.

Tonight's matchup features Kid-K v. Dice-K and either pitcher is capable of shutting down an opponent, so its hard to get a read on who'll get the better of the pitching duel.

Most baseball fans agree that if Kid-K is on his A-game he's as good as anyone in the game, but he has to last longer than 5 innings to be effective, an early call to the 'pen could spell disaster for the Rays. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that the bullpen has been one of the Rays bright spots this season, but against a talented BoSox team you want your starter on the hill as long as possible.
Kaz is 4-1 at home with an ERA of 1.24. Against Boston though, he is 0-1 with an ERA of 6.75 in his first game back off the DL (May 4th).

On the other side of the coin, Dice-K is an impressive 9-1 with a road record of 4-0 and an ERA of 2.20. He threw 5 shut-out innings against the Astros in his last outing.

I always look forward to watching Kid K pitch, but I just can't wrap my mind around sweeping Boston again, so I'm going to have to say that it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see the Rays win, but I'll say Boston gets away with one.

But hey, two out of three ain't bad... ask Meatloaf.

No comments: