- Scott Kazmir (8-5) finally looked the part. The Rays' Ace looked like an Ace, lasting 7 innings allowing only 2 hits while shutting out the A's (despite having to work-around 3 lead-off walks). Kid K struck out 9 and walked 4; retiring 18 of 21 batters during one stretch. To me, the most important stat on the board is the 7 innings pitched. We've waited a long while for Kaz to control his pitch count and he finally accomplished it.
- Grant Freakin' (and I mean that in a good way) Balfour was electric again. This guy is shaping-up like a closer. Look for the Aussie to be the Rays closer starting in 2010.
- Dirtbag looked good at the plate again, hitting a homerun for the third consecutive game. Evan finished 2 for 5 with 2 RBI.
- Upton finally looked more comfortable at the plate going 2 for 3 and taking 2 bases on balls. Bossman also stole his 29th and 30th bases of the season.
- Both the Sox and the Yankees also won. The Sox beat Seattle 4-0, and the Yankees defeated the Twins 12-4.
- The Rays left a staggering 13 runners on base.
- The Rays recorded their ninth shut-out of the season which is a franchise record. I'd say they're good for 3 or 4 more this season, maybe even more if Garza can stay consistant and Kaz can keep his pitch count under control.
visit Rays Index for more Rays info