- Ben Zobrist. Has there ever been a better clutch pinch hitter? When he steps up to the plate in the clutch it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Devil Rays are going to win. In case you live on Mars; the Devil Rays watched a 2 run lead slip away in the 8th, then continued to watch Oakland take a 2-run lead in the top of the 9th. The momentum had swung and this game was all but over. Enter Benjamin Thomas Zobrist to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th and, right on cue, he smashes a 1-1 pitch over the right field wall for a 2-run zo-merun to tie the game at 5. Amazing.
- Matt Garza. Garza pitched 6 and 2/3 innings allowing 2 runs on 7 hits while striking-out 8 and walking 4. What a night and day difference between watching Kaz and Garza. Garza wasn't as sharp as usual and still dominated the Oakland hitters (much lik Kaz did in the not-so-distant past). Garza is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best pitcher on this staff.
- Melvin Upton. I've been riding this kid all year long, so I'll give him a little love; the player formerly known as Bossman Jr was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a walk. Gotta start somewhere.
- The Trop. Although they lost power during this first inning, the Trop gets a shout-out because it's been nothing but rain here all week long. If it weren't for the dome then at least 5 of the last 8 games would've been either delayed or postponed due to rain/lightning. What do you have to say to that all of you open-air stadium supporters?
- Troy Percival. Fatty McFluffnuts did his best Devil Ray impression, pitching all of 1/3 of an inning, managing to walk 2, allow a hit, strike-out 0, and sending 2 earned runs (the go-ahead runs) across the plate. What a "closer"!
- Evan Longoria. Dirtbag is in a serious funk, going 1 for 4 while striking out once. Over the last 10 games Evan is 9 for 41, or an alarming .220, with zero homeruns and 24 strike-outs.
- Carlos Pena. El Gato is also slumping a bit, having another 0-fer night, going 0 for 3 while taking 1 walk. Feast or famine continues in regard to Carlos.
- Despite it all the Devil Rays managed to finish this homestand at 5-3, which is not as good as they'd have hoped, but will suffice considering how poorly they played. They must find a way to avoid playing down tho their competition.